April 2, 2018
2 - 3:30 p.m. ET
Hosted by ASTHO
While tobacco remains the leading cause of death and disease in the United States, nicotine addiction is not the only substance misuse concern among the public health community. The opioid epidemic has become a top priority of public health, healthcare, and policy leaders.
How do opioid prevention efforts and tobacco use control intersect? This Ask the Experts webcast will feature a virtual panel discussion moderated by ASTHO President, John Wiesman, exploring this intersection and the bi-directional relationship between these addictions with behavioral health and chronic disease.
When you register, submit one question that will be addressed by the panel. The session will offer an engaging discussion among the panelists and will allow them to apply their expertise to the intersections of tobacco and opioids.
- Christine Fenlon, MSSL, Health Program Specialist, Prescription Drug Overdose Prevention Initiative, California Department of Public Health
- Mary Strode, MS, Senior Program Consultant, California Tobacco Control Program, California Department of Public Health
- Don Teater, MD, MPH, Family Physician, Teater Health Solutions
- Doug Tipperman, MSW, Tobacco Policy Liaison, Office of Policy, Planning and Innovation, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Michael Weaver, MD, DFASAM, Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Medical Director, Center for Neurobehavioral Research on Addiction, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Moderator: John Wiesman, DrPH, MPH, Secretary of Health, Washington State Department Health and ASTHO President
- Discuss the issue of tobacco use among those addicted to opioids
- Explore the bi-directional relationship between these addictions and behavioral health/chronic disease
- Identify opportunities for state and territorial health agencies to collaborate internally to address nicotine and opioid addiction, across tobacco, chronic disease, injury prevention, behavioral health, and other programs
Register Here: https://astho.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bOA6Rff1ssNwPAh